Sunday, April 11, 2010

Copan and the Bay Islands

Ok this is the final post in my lightning real catch up round.

Following Antigua we crossed the border into Honnduras. We were waiting to meet our friend, Kiyomi from Xela who is joining us on part of our trip. It turns out the town of Copan Ruianas is not the best place to wait as we were with out power for a day and a half and the market was rather pathetic and the laundry more exspensive than NYC drop off service. However we stayed at a very clean hostel and when we finally got going we had a great time at the ruins.

The ruins at Copan are home to the best preserved examples of carving from the Maya classic period, Most engravings at the site were from 700c.e. to 800c.e.


On from Copan we spent a night in la Ceiba, a town on the northern coast of Honduras, which we barely saw before getting on a boat to Utila in the Bay Islands off the coast. Only reachable by boat or plane the Bay Islands are three Islands amid the second largest barrier reef in the world. Despite planning on only snorkling we immediatly became tempted by the ubiquitous diving oppurtunities on the island. Enchanted by the opputunity I was ready to sign up when I discovered following a questioaire and quick trip to Dr. John the half shirted doctor that I am not fit for diving due to possible excercise induced asthma. So that sucked a lot but I have had a lovely time snorkling and exploring this strange place where caribbean english is the prevelent language, As you can see it is not the worst place to be stuck with little to do.

Tomorrow we move on, returning to Guatemala and soon I will treat you to salavating descriptions of Tikal the grandest mayan ruins, and some other places. Only little more than two weeks left but there is still plenty more I am excited to see.

Also as I am reminded of the brevity of my time here, I just want everyone to know I am read and able for any spring-summer employment. ANY...

No comments:

Post a Comment