Friday, February 5, 2010

Down in the Delta

We traveled down Highway 68 on our way to New Orleans. Somewhere around Clarksdale we passed the "crossroads" where guitarist Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil in exchange for superior blues skills.

Having ingested a hearty breakfast I was unable to take advantage of the two delta specialties I'm aware of. The first is tamales. There are few Latinos in the delta and mo one knows how or why folks in the delta eat tamales but they are ubiquitous. According to my brother it this tamale tradition that led to tamales being available in Chicago's south side. The other is the kool-aid pickle. Missing out on this culinary oddity  was simple error. For some reason I thought this was a southern Mississippi thing and realized my mistake far too late.

We headed into New Orleans on the original bridge to nowhere, the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway. A 23 mile bridge spanning the giant lake which makes New Orleans northern border. On  to New Orleans...

3 comments:

  1. Eli-

    While you're in NOLA, you should stop by Surrey's Juice Bar on magazine st. in the lower garden district--my all-time favorite restaurant.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Florida now and the only juice I had in New Orleans came dripping from a smoked sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well how are we supposed to submit tips if you're behind on your blogging?

    ReplyDelete